February 9, 2011

You'd Have To See It To Believe It

Or in this case, eat it. Ladies and gentleman, for the first time in my life I did something I never thought I'd do:

I cooked in a Crock Pot!

I know this doesn't sound like very much of an accomplishment, but allow me to explain. I was raised in a very Italian family who cooks everything fried, baked, or sauteed. Pretty sure people in Italy have never even heard of a CrockPot! But as I get ready to marry my dearest Taylor, (in 24 days and 17 hours, I might add!) who has a very American appetite, I realize that I need to expand my cooking horizons. So I've made meatloaf (which he LOVED), but that's about the extent of American cooking in my family. haha

But enter my amazing in-laws and the amazing bridal shower they threw my last week! I received not one, but TWO Crock Pots, and I took that as a sign that it was time for me to buckle down and get cooking. So, tonight, I rolled up my sleeves and started with something simple and that I knew Taylor would go ga-ga over: Barbecue Chicken! It was DELICIOUS! Not to mention that our apartment smelled like the deep south for the rest of the night. I just defrosted 2 chicken breasts and placed them in the Crock Pot with a cup of barbecue sauce and about 1/2 cup of apple juice; put the heat on high and 3 hours later dinner was served! I served the chicken with scalloped potatoes and sauteed green beans. What a yummy dinner! Now, I'm not trying to toot my own horn but... TOOT TOOT!

I'm extra excited for this Sunday, too. I plan on making the first of many Sunday pot roasts with carrots and potatoes and my much-requested homemade rolls. :) If I remember I'll take some photos for the blog.

In other news, we are just weeks away from the wedding and both Taylor and I are getting so anxious! Taylor's parents came in from Florida last week and we had a wonderful visit! My sister-in-law Rachael threw me a wonderful bridal shower with all of Taylor's family. Our kitchen is now pretty much fully stocked with dishes, glasses, and silverware and all kinds of pleasantries. :) I am so grateful for all their love and support. They truly welcomed me with open arms.

I'll be sure to update after this weekend, because it's both my birthday and Valentine's day! What a weekend this will be!!

1 comment:

  1. Aren't crockpots awesome?! I've been using mine so much this winter. I will be trying that BBQ chicken recipe soon--it sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete